Voted "Best Law Firm in 
Southern Illinois" in 2021

workers' compensation

If you have been injured at work, it can severely affect your daily life and your ability to earn a living. Thousands of workers across Illinois get injured on the job every year. Unfortunately, many of these injured workers never pursue the benefits to which they are entitled.
Schedule a free consultation



Every year in Illinois, approximately 200,000 workplace accidents resulting in injuries are reported to employers. If an injury “arises out of” the employment and occurs “in the course of” the employment, then it is typically covered under the Workers’ Compensation Act. Generally speaking, this means that if you are hurt in an accident while you were engaged in work related duties while “on the clock,” you should be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.


No Up Front Fees. We only get paid if we get you a recovery.


We're the neighbors you can trust, always there when you need us.

here for you.

Our team is here to protect you and keeps your best interests in mind.


to take

First, you should notify your employer of the date and place you were injured as soon as practical, but no later than 45 days after the accident. The notification to your employer can be done verbally, but the best practice is to give notice in writing, which would include email or text messages. In some cases, an employer may try to pressure an employee to not file a claim. If an employee fails to report a claim to a supervisor in a timely manner or fails to file a claim in a timely manner, they may be barred from pursuing their claim later. This could result in unpaid medical expenses that haunt the worker, and worsening injuries that might have been treated.
Second, you should remember that you typically have three years after the date of the accident to file a formal workers’ compensation claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. Most employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance and all employers are prohibited from retaliating against an employee for pursuing workers’ compensation benefits. While some employers handle these cases appropriately, many do not. 
Lastly, contact a lawyer you can trust! Your employer may ask you to do certain things after you report your injury. After a workers’ compensation claim is filed, the insurance carrier will oftentimes unfairly deny a claim or offer a “low ball” settlement amount. An injured worker should contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney sooner, rather than later.

why choose us

The attorneys at the Beard Law Firm live and work in Southern Illinois. We have successfully prosecuted workers’ compensation claims against most of the major employers in Southern Illinois and we are familiar with different issues specific to these employers. 

If you have been hurt at work, call the Beard Law Firm right away for a free consultation at (618)351-1000. An experienced attorney will discuss your case with you and help you figure out the best way to move forward. If it is outside normal business hours, leave a voicemail or email us at the address listed on this site. An experienced attorney will usually call you back before the next business day.
Beard Law Firm staff

frequently asked questions

  • Q: Is it worth it to get a workers' compensation attorney? 

    A: It is ALWAYS a good idea to consult with an attorney if you have a workers' compensation case. In most cases you will likely benefit from hiring an attorney. To find out if you need an attorney, call, email, or text us at your convenience.
  • Q: Can my employer replace me while on workers' compensation? 

    A: Unfortunately, yes. However, in Illinois, the employer cannot fire you in retaliation for pursuing your workers' comp benefits. An experienced attorney can help you determine your best path forward.
  • Q: Can my employer make me take a drug test?

    A: In Illinois, the answer is yes, but a positive test result does not mean that your workers' compensation claim won’t still succeed.
  • Q: Can my employer make me do an independent medical exam (IME) with their doctor?

    A: In Illinois, the employer can force you to submit to an IME. An experienced attorney can help you know what to expect with an IME.
schedule a free consultation

contact a lawyer

(800) 559-1400
Copyright 2021 - AlterEgo Marketing